Quinoa is definitely one of my favorite grains, it is super filling and easy to digest. Besides being a gluten free grain and having a low glycemic index, it is high in protein and fiber. It also contains folic acid, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese and copper. With a slightly nutty flavor it goes well with everything. I love using it as a base of any meal or on top of salads.
I created this recipe when I moved to Dubai and felt really inspired with all the delicious Arabian flavors. Fresh herbs, tahini, toasted nuts and pomegranate are some staples of the Middle Eastern cousin and just go so well with quinoa. Here is the recipe, hope you love it!
- 1/2 mug quinoa
- handful coriander/cilantro
- handful mint
- 4 tomatoes
- 1/2 pomegranate
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 mug nuts (I used pine nuts and cashew nuts)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Once it is cooked, allow it to cool
- Meanwhile, toast the nuts in a dry frying pan until they are golden brown
- Chop the coriander/cilantro and mint leaves. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Remove the pomegranate seeds
- Mix all the ingredients and season it with the tahini, olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper
Top Tip: This dish is amazing served cold. You can prepare it during the weekend and eat it during the week with your favorite salad! It´s always good to have healthy food ready to eat in our fridge.
Lots of love,