Few things give me so much pleasure as doing my own almond milk at home, it´s definitely one of the most empowering things we can do. Almond milk is a nutritious and super alkaline alternative to dairy milk. Almonds are an amazing source of plant protein, healthy fats, calcium, and skin-beautifying antioxidant vitamin E. And they also make the best dairy free milk!
I love to have it on its own, I mix it in delicious drinks and smoothies and use it for any other recipe where milk is required. Making your own almond milk is incomparably better than any of the commercially available milks as it´s healthier, completely natural and a lot cheaper. And the best part? It’s super easy to do! Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup almonds
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla powder
- 1 date (you can add more if you want it more sweet)
- Small pinch of sea salt
You will also need:
- Nut milk bag
- Soak almonds overnight or during 8/10 hours
- Rinse and drain the almonds well
- Add the almonds, water, cinnamon, vanilla, pitted dates and sea salt to a blender
- Blend for 1 to 3 minutes or until smooth
- Place the nut milk bag over a large bowl and pour the milk mixture into the bag
- Gently squeeze the bag to get all the milk out
- Keep the almond milk in an air-tight container for 3 to 4 days.
Top Tip: About half of the almond vitamins stay in the pulp, so do not throw it away. Enjoy it on top of salads, in smoothies or make some homemade almond cookies.