When life gives you lemons…make water with lemon and drink it first thing in the morning for vibrant health and beautiful skin.
Wherever I am in the world I always start the day with a cup of warm water with lemon. This is something I have been doing since I started my healing journey and never stopped because it really makes me feel amazing inside and out.
First of all, overnight our bodies go through a long period without water. So, mornings are the most important time to hydrate. And second, lemons are packed with vitamins and minerals and are true miracle of nature. They are the only food which are purely anionic (negatively charged ions) mimicking our digestive processes (hydrochloric acid, digestive enzymes, saliva) which are anionic too. On the other hand, toxins and free radicals are cationic (positively charged ions), so consuming a high concentration of negative ions is one of the best ways to neutralize environment toxins and free radicals. Lemons are even able to donate hydrogen ions which help to increase the hydrating power of our water.
Amazing, right? If you aren´t still convinced, then read just a few of the overall benefits of drinking lemon water first thing in the morning:
- Deeply hydrates our body when it most needs
- Boosts our energy and mood
- Aids in digestion & detoxification
- Supports the liver, our main detoxifying organ
- Purifies the blood and helps flush toxins from our body
- Helps nutrient absorption and reduces bloating
- Boosts the immune system
- Acts as a natural antiseptic
- Balances PH level in our body, making it more alkaline
- Stimulates our metabolism
- Rejuvenates & clears the skin
- Helps with weight loss, since it keeps us full for longer
- Acts as a natural diuretic
- Helps boost all our body´s critical functions
Hence, starting our day with water with lemon is a self-care practice that is not only good for our body but also for our mind and soul. By taking the time to really honor and respect our bodies, we start our morning in a peaceful and healthy way that helps us set the tone for the entire day. It takes only 5 minutes and is the perfect way to kick start your morning routine!
So, how to make this each morning?
- Half a lemon (preferably organic for extra benefits!)
- Pure/filtered water (I use 500ml but you can start with 1 cup)
- Heat some water in your kettle
- In the meantime, squeeze the juice of half lemon into a mug and add room temperature water
- On top add a little bit of hot water to make it warm
Why warm water and not cold or hot?
Drinking cold water can be a shock to your system and hot water may destroy some of the enzymes and heat-sensitive vitamins, such as vitamin C.
Other tips for the perfect morning ritual
- Consider using a straw if you feel sensibility in your teeth. Lemons become alkaline once they are digested but in our month they are still acid. So if you feel any sensibility or are worry about it, don´t stop drinking it, use a straw to sip it instead.
- Try using boosters like ginger, apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper or turmeric for extra digestive support and to boost your immune system even more.
- Wait at least 15 to 30 minutes until you have your breakfast. That gives the body time to digest it, clean your system and prepare your body to absorb all the nutrition of your breakfast
- Use this time to sit down and be grateful for one more day or to set your intentions for the day ahead
- Try it for 21 days until it becomes a habit! If you do it already try some of the tips above!
Do you already drink warm water with lemon in the morning? Share it below! If not, tomorrow is the perfect day to start!